Erasmus IP Summer School “‘Preventive Archaeology’. Evaluating sites and landscape” will be held in Ravenna-Senigallia, Italy.
About the program
The Summer School “’Preventive Archaeology’. Evaluating sites and landscapes” is an intensive program aimed to introduce students to the topic of the archaeological impact assessment (in Europe largely known as ‘preventive archaeology’ or ‘preventative archaeology’), focusing in particular on the methods and techniques for evaluating nature and potential of archaeological deposits prior to transformations or development, within a correct planning process. Integrating theory and practice, the course gives large space to the new technologies of non-destructive investigation increasingly often employed for field evaluation, which can positively support the value-led process in archaeology in the direction of a preventative and total project design.
The main learning outcomes regard a new transversal competence in matter of ‘preventive archaeology’, which is increasingly required in the modern archaeological research as well as in the job market.
The Summer School will provide to the students an unusual full immersion on a very topical issue, through quality lectures and practical experiences on the field and laboratories, concerning human and scientific training.
Moreover, the course will institute a new process by providing a stimulating environment for sharing and discussing diverse experiences from different European countries in the addressed topics, in which students will be a central and active part. This process will define new areas of knowledge together with tools for delivering it also beyond the course itself.
Location and activities
The school takes place in Ravenna, for the theoretical lectures, and in the Marche region (at Senigallia and its hinterland) for the practice, which involves field activities on both urban and country contexts (in particular, with practical and lab sessions dedicated to aerial photography, remote sensing, geophysics, instrumental topography, UAV technology).
The course is organized by the University of Bologna (Italy), Department of History and Culture, in collaboration with:
- University of Bern, Institute of Archaeological Sciences,
- University of Birmingham, College of Arts and Law & Visual and Spatial Technology Center (VISTA)
- University of Bradford, Department of Archaeological Sciences,
- University of Cassino, Dipartimento di Lettere e Filosofia,
- University of Ghent, Department of Archaeology,
- University of Leiden, Faculty of Archaeology,
- University of Ljubljana, Department of Archaeology,
- University of Lyon 2, Maison de l’Orient et de la Méditerranée,
- University of Salento, Dipartimento di Beni Culturali,
- University of Siena, Dipartimento di Archeologia e Storia delle Arti,
- University of Vigo, Department of Natural Resources and Environment Engineering
- Geocarta Inc. (Paris)
- Geostudi Astier Inc. (Livorno)
- Ingegneria dei Sistemi, IDS (Pisa)
- Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, INGV (Rome)
- So.Ing. Strutture e Ambiente Inc. (Livorno)
- European Union Marie Curie Program
The universities and the scientific partners involved have a great experience of different level in matter of archaeological evaluation, acquired working on various countries and territories which entail diverse problems (in terms of methods, techniques, environment and legislative rules). This provides a fruitful environment for positive and stimulating exchanges among teachers and students from the several institutions.
The school is open to a maximum of 30 students from the Universities partners.
Accommodation and covering costs
The school is free for students from the Universities Partners.
For students total costs coverage for travel and accommodation (in B&B mini apartments) is guaranteed.
Except for breakfast, the cost for food is excluded by covering, but the B&B residences are provided of equipped kitchen area. In addition, solutions agreed upon with University in some trusted bar and restaurant will be provided to the students.
How to apply
For applications or any information request, please e-mail at: email@example.com and include your CV.